- What is the 10th World Conference on Ecological Restoration (SER 2023)?
SER2023 is a global conference focused on ecological restoration, bringing together experts, researchers, practitioners, and policymakers to discuss and advance restoration science and practice.
- When and where will SER 2023 take place?
The in-person component of SER2023 will be held from the 26 to 30 of September in Darwin, Australia. The conference will take place at the DoubleTree by Hilton Esplanade and the Darwin Entertainment Centre. All meeting spaces are located within a short 1–2-minute walk making it easy to get from one session to the next. See our Conference Venues page and Conference Venue Map for more details.
The virtual component of SER2023 will take place online from the 7 to 8 of November 2023. All in-person delegates will have access to the virtual component content of the conference.
- What are the conference themes and topics?
SER2023 covers a wide range of ecological restoration topics. Details on conference themes and topics can be found in the Conference Program.
- Please see the Society for Ecological Restoration’s Code of Conduct for SER2023:
The objective of this Code of Conduct (“Code”) is to serve as guidance for acceptable behavior of anyone participating in SER events and the process for remediation should an incident in the nature of unacceptable behavior occur. The Code reflects SER’s tenets of practicing diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- What items should I bring to the conference with me during the day?
To reduce plastic waste at the conference, we encourage you to bring your reusable travel mugs, water bottles, utensils, and any other reusable items with you.
- Do I need to wear my name badge for conference access?
Yes, delegates must wear their name badges at all times for access.
- What should I do if I lose my name badge?
Please visit the registration/help desk for a re-print.
- Is there Wi-Fi available at the conference?
Yes, we will have signs with the Wi-Fi details throughout the conference, and at registration/help desk.
- Is the conference handicap accessible?
Yes, all venue spaces and stages have wheelchair accessibility. Please speak to the help desk/registration desk if you require any further assistance.
- How can I arrange airport transfers?
Directions and transportation options from the nearest airport to the conference venue can be found on the conference website’s Travel Information and Visas section.
Uber – You can use the Uber app on your phone to order a ride to the airport. Requires you to have or create an account with the application.
Blue Taxi Company – 13 82 94
- Is there luggage / general storage available during the conference?
Unfortunately, due to venue restrictions, there is no storage available, and you should plan to use your hotel instead.
- Is parking available at the conference venue?
The closest parking is under the Centre at the DoubleTree by Hilton underground carpark, with access via both Mitchell St and The Esplanade. There is also accessible parking available in the underground carpark with lift access available to street level. The carpark uses licence recognition for payment on exit by card only.
DoubleTree by Hilton underground carpark prices:
|0 – 1 hour||$1.50|
|1 – 2 hours||$3.00|
|2 – 3 hours||$4.50|
|3 – 4 hours||$6.00|
|4 – 10 hours||$7.50|
|10 – 24 hours||$12.50|
- Where is the help / information desk?
The Help/Information Desk will be located next to the registration desk in Darwin Entertainment Centre, Ground Floor in the main foyer, and will be open from 10:00-17:00 starting 27 September. Download the conference venue map for details.
- What COVID-19 safety measures will be in place for SER 2023?
We are committed to ensuring a safe conference experience. You will be able to find hand sanitiser in all locations with delegates available throughout the conference, as well as can pick up any masks or COVID-19 tests as need at the registration / help desk.
- Will there be a safety officer available onsite?
Yes, both venues provide a safety officer onsite. Please visit the reception/help desk in Darwin Entertainment Centre, Ground Floor in the main foyer and the Agentur staff will be happy to contact the officer / call medical services if needed.
The registration desk will be equipped with a first aid kit.
- What safety/security measures are in place during the conference?
- Make sure to take care of your personal belongings, conference bag, and electronic devices. SER and the organizers are not responsible for any loss or damage.
- Attendees are only allowed within the conference venues and areas if they have a registered name badge – bystanders will not have access to the conference.
- Be alert at night – always make sure to walk in pairs where possible!
- Be Croc-wise, do not go into the water and stay away from the water’s edge. Read more here.
- Where is the registration desk located and when does it open?
Pre-registration will be in the Lobby Lounge of the Doubletree by Hilton Hotel on:
- Sunday, 24 September, 7:00 – 14:30
- Monday, 25 September, 6:00 – 16:00
Official conference registration begins in the Gallery in the Darwin Entertainment Centre on:
- Tuesday, 26 September, 14:00 – 17:00
- Wednesday, 27 September, 6:30 – 10:00
For the remainder of the conference the registration and information desk will be in the Main Entrance of the Darwin Entertainment Centre from Wednesday, 27 September starting at 10:00 onwards.
- What do I need to bring for registering / paying on-site?
If you’ve paid: A copy of your registration confirmation and proof of payment, or the issued receipt.
For delegates pending confirmation of registration: If you’ve registered online, but your payment is pending, visit the HELP desk at the registration desk for assistance and payment processing. Bring a credit card or have your details ready to fill out.
- Registration cancellation policy:
No refunds will be given for registration. Anyone that is unable to attend the in-person component, after registering for this component, will be converted to the virtual component.
- Where can I find the conference schedule and program?
The detailed conference schedule, including sessions, workshops, and events, is available on the conference website under the Program, Conference Schedule.
- Can I bring a guest to receptions / field trips / sessions?
All Delegates and guests must be registered for the conference and have a name badge to enter all conference activities, areas and events.
- Is there a conference mobile app, and how can I access it?
The conference mobile app will be available for download before the event, and login details will be sent to you in advance. It will provide program updates and changes, and we highly recommend you download it! A QR code will be available at the registration abs help desk to download.
- Will there be virtual attendance options for the in-person components in Darwin?
The daily plenary sessions in Darwin will be live streamed and will be available at this link: https://vimeo.com/event/3702239/30ebc30ecb.
All the presentations will be recorded and will be made available for the in-person and virtual delegates on www.ser.org, after the virtual component has concluded in November.
- When can I visit the exhibitions?
The exhibitions are taking place on the Ground Floor of the DoubleTree Hilton Esplanade in the Reflections room, and outside Ballroom A and B on the First Floor of the DoubleTree Hilton Esplanade. Exhibits can be viewed during the official conference breaks and lunch times. Download the conference venue map.
- How can I access conference materials and presentations after the conference?
The daily plenaries will be live streamed at this link: https://vimeo.com/event/3702239/30ebc30ecb.
Information about accessing conference materials, presentations, and recordings post-event will be communicated to all delegates through the conference website and email.
- What are the speaker preparation details?
For speakers, the Paperless Events Team will be managing the Speakers Preparation on the Ground Floor of the Darwin Entertainment Centre. Please upload your presentation at least two hours before your session or upon arrival. If you need your presentation or speaking notes printed, send them to firstname.lastname@example.org with your desired pickup time.
- Where can I print my presentation / speaking notes?
If you need notes printed, please send them to email@example.com with the time you need them by. We will respond when your notes are ready for pick-up at the reception desk.
- Is catering available during the conference?
Yes! There are 4 catering locations available onsite and included in your ticket price:
- Reflection room
- In front of ballroom A & B
- Litchfield foyer
- By bar in front of balcony
Please see the venue map to find the catering locations.
- Do you have recommendations of where to eat offsite?
Hanuman – Opens at 6PM for dinner and serves Thai and Indian food. Hanuman is located right next to the Darwin Entertainment Centre. It is a very popular venue, and it is recommended booking in advance.
Noodle House – Open for lunch and dinner (see website for opening hours) serves Chinese Cantonese food. It is located across the street from the Darwin Entertainment Centre.
The Lost Arc – Open for lunch and dinner (see website for opening hours) and serves pub food. Located down the street from the Entertainment Centre.
Coffee Man – Open for breakfast and lunch. Sells coffee and sandwiches. Located across and down the street from the venue.
- Do you have any recommendations on local things to visit during my free time?
Watch our videos on local recommendations from Jill Segura, on the SER2023 local advisory committee/